Re: Emacs and nxml/nxhtml-mode: memory overflow

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Emacs and nxml/nxhtml-mode: memory overflow
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:37:25 +0100

> Martin Butz <mb@mkblog.org> writes:

>>> Have you tried disabling validation.
>>
>> I tried to do that over the menu, but did not find the responsible
>> variable to disable it completely.
>
> M-x apropos-variable RET validate RET
>
> ,----
> | Type RET on an entry to view its full documentation.
> |
> | rng-nxml-auto-validate-flag
> |    Non-nil means automatically turn on validation with nxml-mode.
> | rng-validate-chunk-size
> |    Number of characters in a RELAX NG validation chunk.
> | rng-validate-delay
> |    Time in seconds that Emacs must be idle before starting a full
> |    validation.
> | rng-validate-quick-delay
> |    Time in seconds that Emacs must be idle before starting a quick
> |    validation.
> `----
>
>>> If your XML file has no newlines then Emacs will choke.
>>
>> This is to say: at the EOF?
>
> I mean long lines - something like this
>
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>
> instead of like this
>
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>
>>> IIRC, validation happens under the control of timer.  Try increasing it.
>>
>> Do you know, how to do this? I assume, it is a variable of nxml-mode, right?
>
> See above options.
>
> ps: I haven't used nxhtml-mode

I've tried most methods for mixed mode.

nxhtml is really the only mode for mixed mode programming that even
begins to be useful. I tend to find most other recommendations are done
by people who are not using mixed mode at all. Regradless how the
purists see mixed mode files (try mentioning PHP even in #emacs) , they
are very common. php and html/css/javascript in one file is not
unusual. Emacs addressing this "natively" would be a real boon.

Unfortunately nxhrml doesnt seem to be maintained anymore, or?
Certainly in trunk emacs 24 using nxthml produces loads of popup error
buffers. I emailed the author but got no response.