Re: thing-at-point: inconsistent behaviour?

From: Raffaele Ricciardi
Subject: Re: thing-at-point: inconsistent behaviour?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:23:40 +0100

On 08/17/2012 05:38 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
>>> In the case of a symbol, IMO most programs really want/need
>>> to grab a symbol _name_, often for use as the default value
>>> in an interactive spec.  Most do not really want/need a Lisp
>>> symbol.  And even when they do, they can call `intern'
>>> or `intern-soft' or `make-symbol' themselves.
>>
>> Then they should call (thing-at-point 'symbol), not
>> (symbol-at-point).
>
> Yes.
>
> On the other hand, for many such use cases it is not very useful to obtain a > value of `nil' (a symbol, not a string) when there is no symbol name at point > (not even "nil"). Function `non-nil-symbol-name-at-point' returns "" in that
> case.  It is, in effect, (or (thing-at-point 'symbol) "").
>
>> It seems like this tangent is because someone thought that the
>> latter should just be a shorthand for the former, but they do
>> different things and are intended for different situations.  If
>> symbol-at-point doesn't do what you want (e.g. it interns things
>> when you would prefer it didn't), don't use it. No one's forcing
>> you to.
>
> Exactly. And not just "someone" - such confusion does not seem that rare.
>
> You might have come to understand that (thing-at-point 'symbol) returns a
> string, and you correctly distinguish it from what `symbol-at-point' does, but
> it is easy for others not to get this.
>

> This confusion wrt symbols is why it is helpful to provide a function that has > `symbol-name' and not just `symbol' in its name, the former doing, in effect,
> what (or (thing-at-point 'symbol) "") does.
>
> BTW, I don't think most use cases really care whether or not the name has been > interned. What is more important usually is what kind of value is returned: a
> symbol or a string (symbol name).
>
> The other thing that can be important for some use cases is to distinguish the > absence of any symbol name at point from the presence of the symbol name "nil" > at point. When picking up a symbol name to serve as a completion candidate for
> some input, it is often the case that "nil" is not appropriate.
>
> FWIW, this 2007 Emacs Devel thread discusses exactly what is being discussed in
> the present thread, and a bit more:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg01520.html

Indeed there is ambiguity in the naming of `symbol-at-point', for as Drew has
pointed out in another reply of his, `symbol' is a context-sensitive term,
e.g. an Emacs Lisp symbol or a symbol according to the active syntax table. As such, users could oversee that `symbol-at-point' works only in the context of Emacs Lisp programs. As a counterexample, the specificity of `list-at-point' and 'sexp-at-point' is obvious. Maybe `symbol-at-point' could document that it returns the interned Emacs Lisp symbol at point, thus avoiding any confusion? Also, the documentation string could redirect to `thing-at-point' - or to a new
`symbol-name-at-point' function - users who want to distinguish between no
symbol and `nil'.

> Especially since `thing-at-point' does NOT always return a string -
> it returns a
> list for (thing-at-point 'list), for instance. There is nothing in the name, > i.e., on the surface of it, that tells you that (thing-at-point 'symbol) returns > either a symbol name or the symbol `nil'. It looks every bit like it might
> return the thing at point that is a symbol.

On my GNU Emacs 24.1, `thing-at-point' always returns a (propertized) string,
including when used with 'list.