Re: Emacs C source code

From: Mark Skilbeck
Subject: Re: Emacs C source code
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:37:57 +0100

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 03:12:07AM -0700, drain wrote:

> After I enter C-h f then forward-word, I get this message:
>
> forward-word is an interactive built-in function in `syntax.c'.
>
> I click on 'syntax.c' and Emacs tells me: "the C source file syntax.c is not
> available".
>
> Where can I find this file? Where is it most likely to be in GNU / Linux?
> (my distro is Ubuntu 11.10)

Hi!

According to the documentation for `find-function-source-path', it
will look through your `load-path' variable. You will need to point
this to your local Emacs source. Of course, installing Emacs through
the ubuntu apt-get interface does not give you the source - you'll
have to use `apt-get source emacs' or something similar.

Compiling and installing your own Emacs binary, I believe, sets the
load-path automatically to find the source code.

--
- mgs.

if all you young men / were fish in the water
how many young girls / would undress and dive after