Re: Issues with emacs

From: Jeremiah Dodds
Subject: Re: Issues with emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 16:08:43 -0400

Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com> writes:

> Jeremiah Dodds <jeremiah.dodds <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> >
>> > That's where crowdfunding could help and I don't think the payment
>> > necessarily has to match what they earn working on a business software,
>> > because if people have a motivation to work on something more
>> > interesting then they often willing to accept lower payment
>> > if they gain more professional satisfication from working
>> > on the more interesting project.
>>
>> I, for one, would gladly work on emacs full time if I was making enough
>> to pay my (frugal) bills from it.
>>

> And what's holding you back from giving it a try? The
> crowdfunding infrastructure is there (Kickstarter and co.), and
> it's well proven for other projects.
>
> Of course, the crowdfunding model is more suited for contractors who are
> used to taking up different projects regularly, so they can easily
> choose implementing an Emacs feature as a next project.
>
> But it's also a possible that a skilled developer could make a
> permanent living from developing Emacs features, by starting the
> next crowdfunded project immediately when he finished
> implementing the previous one.

I actually may give it a try in the future, I'm working on launching a
kickstarter for a project that I've wanted to complete for a long time,
and the idea of crowdfunding specific features for a piece of software
and implementing them is a pretty interesting idea.

There's a part of me that feels like funding things like "improving
emacs" would be better suited to an organization that is capable of
commissioning developers and/or paying contributing devs for their work
than crowdfunding.