Re: Issues with emacs (was Emacs users a dying breed?)

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Issues with emacs (was Emacs users a dying breed?)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:04:03 +0000 (UTC)

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> The good news is that, whether Emacs users are a dying breed
> or not, the only remedy to this hypothetical issue is to have
> more Emacs developers.

But how to have more developers. I see 3 possibilites:

1. Motivate more users to be volunteer developers? Any idea how
to do that?

2. Attracting more users. Volunteer developers are some small
percent of the active user base, so if Emacs can be mode more
attractive to users then the bigger user base will bring more
volunteer developers too. The problem is in order to be more
attractive Emacs needs new features which other editors/IDEs have
and which make users to choose those editors/IDEs instead of
Emacs, and to implement those more competitive features Emacs
needs more developers.

3. Crowdfunding. If we don't have enough volunteer developers
then we need to motivate developers with something else. For
example, paying for their work. For this model to work there
should be some public exposure of this idea, so potential
developers know they can potentially make a living while
contributing to Emacs. This kind of public exposure could be done
by RMS who could mention this development model in every
interview he gives. He has the voice which can reach lots of
ears, including potential developer ears.