Re: Probelm starting emacs snapshot - "Font `lucidasanstypewriter-10' is

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Probelm starting emacs snapshot - "Font `lucidasanstypewriter-10' is not defined"
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:57:52 +0200

Am 20.06.2012 um 11:49 schrieb Rainer M Krug:

> My question is: why does emacs-snapshot need lucida, and emacs 23 not? Or did
> it just ignore the
> missing font? And: How can I install the font on Ubuntu Precise?

GNU Emacs never needs a particular font. It can work (display) with whatever it
finds on the system. And if it does not find anything suitable, then it uses
empty boxes. It is possible that the different "releases" were differently
packaged and therefore used different init files, maybe also different X
resources. If this is not documented, then you can check the contents of the
packages and answer your questions (I can't, because I don't use Ubuntu at the
moment and I don't want to install it in the near future in a virtual instance.)

Before you install anything you should remember that you have two services that
provide fonts for X clients: on the X server side you have the old system that
used 'xset fp ...' and xlsfonts/xfontsel/xfd and font names in the XLFD (X11
Logical Font Description) format, and on the "user side" you have libfontconfig
with fc-cache/fc-match/fc-list and configuration files like (/etc/)fonts.conf
or ~/.fonts.conf.

When your GNU Emacs executable uses libfontconfig you can use libfontconfig
names to name the font(s) you want to use. When your GNU Emacs executable uses
libotf you can even use OTF fonts.

In any case you have to set up your font services accordingly. I take my Lucida
Sans Typewriter fonts off Java. Off your TeX installation you can use for
example Latin Modern Mono, as found in files named lmmono*.otf. (I use them in
the NS/NextSTEP/Cocoa variant of GNU Emacs.) There is also UM Typewriter,
UMTypewriter-*.otf.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking
about.
                                – John von Neumann