Re: Display characters with a different size?

From: XeCycle
Subject: Re: Display characters with a different size?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 01:02:55 +0800

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.de> writes:

> Am 12.06.2012 um 15:38 schrieb XeCycle:
>
>> The two fonts are of different metrics.  I want to force them to
>> be same.
>
> That won't work, at least not in the way you want it to. CJK
> ideograms fit into a more quadratic ("full-width") box while
> Latin characters fit more into a rectangular box
> ("half-width"). Therefore you can find pixel fonts like 6x13 or
> 7x14 (I also have 8x16kana and 8x16romankana). You could stretch
> these Latin characters to fit into a quadratic box, then they are
> twice as wide as before at the same height – they're now
> cinemascope.
>
> These two, Latin and Chinese, are incompatible.

I know this, but I mean another problem here.  Say I have a Latin
font with width 7 and height 20, I'd like my Chinese characters
shown with width 14 and height 20.  But my Chinese font told
Emacs to display them with width 12 and height 22 --- therefore
it breaks alignment.  I want to tweak it into 14x20, but don't
know how to do that.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University