Re: Copy/paste issue.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Copy/paste issue.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 01:36:59 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.730.1336372071.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> Now, I'd never hear do delete-selection-mode, so I did a C-h f on it:
>>
>> Question: what are some of the uses of this mode?  Maybe name
>> 2 or 3 uses, so I can understand if it's something I should get
>> familiar with.
>
>`delete-selection-mode' is quite similar to what you are (probably) used to
>outside of Emacs: after you select text, what you type replaces the selection.
>And Backspace deletes it.  (To cancel selection, hit `C-g'.)
>
>>From (emacs) `Using Region':
>
>,----
>|    By default, text insertion occurs normally even if the mark is
>| active--for example, typing `a' inserts the character `a', then
>| deactivates the mark.  If you enable Delete Selection mode, a minor
>| mode, then inserting text while the mark is active causes the text in
>| the region to be deleted first.  To toggle Delete Selection mode on or
>| off, type `M-x delete-selection-mode'.
>`----
>
>[IMHO, `delete-selection-mode' should be the default behavior for Emacs.  It
>took a couple decades to get even `transient-mark-mode' accepted as the
>default.
>(`transient-mark-mode' is a like a neutered `delete-selection-mode'.)  Perhaps
>in a couple more decades `delete-selection-mode' will be accepted. ;-)]

Thanks!

I'll have to try it -- see if I like it.

One question to make it totally clear.  Without that mode turned on,
how would I accomplish the same thing?  That is, end up with the
same result.

Then maybe, why it's better done WITH the mode.

(Hey, you've already done enough.  Don't answer this unless you want to.
Thanks!)

David