python mode indent region

From: Daniel Elliott
Subject: python mode indent region
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 07:53:06 -0500

I get different behavior when using indent-region to format code than
when hitting the tab key.  On many lines that have excessive spacing,
when I hit the tab key, the code is snapped into the correct location
after one press but the indent-region has no affect.

Is this the expected behavior?

I am using the python-mode that comes with Emacs 23.3.1 on Ubuntu (I'm
having difficulty determining which version that is).

Thank you.

- dan