Re: emacs 24: cursor shape is now i

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: emacs 24: cursor shape is now i
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 11:17:20 -0700 (PDT)

On May 7, 7:44 am, XeCycle <XeCy...@Gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
> > In emacs 24, the cursor shape seems to have changed from a solid box
> > to i-beam?
>
> > however, setting the following won't work?
>
> > (setq cursor-type 'box)
> > (setq cursor-type 'bar)
>
> Works for me.
>
> > any hints on what's going on?
>
> Did you forget that it's buffer-local?
> Carl Lei (XeCycle)

thanks Carl Lei and Drew Adams.

it's strange.

this is

GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN

started with -Q.

it display cursor as i-beam.

Then, if i paste this

(setq cursor-type 'box)

evaluate it, it has no effect in the display. (but the variable did
get set, verified with describe-variable)

i found on the web another guy who had similar problem
http://sinewalker.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/curious-cursor-complication-with-emacs-and-windows-magnifier/

but mine isn't related to Windows magnifier he speaks of. I don't have
that turned on.

 Xah