Re: tmux & emacs: window issue

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:23:00 +0100

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Memnon,

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
>> problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
>> opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
>> windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
>> avoid following links in the gnus article window.
>>
>> Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?
>
> This doesn't seem to be related to tmux at all, i.e., don't you get the
> same behaviour when you run an emacsclient without tmux?

No, when I used only emacs and something like winring.el, the gnus
frame with the 3 windows was preserved and w3m just opened in the
article window where I clicked on the link.

> What I usually do when I read mail and news in gnus and w3m takes over
> the windows configuration: I do a C-c u, which is bound for me to
> winner-undo, keep on reading mail and news and read all links I followed
> when I am done. Or, if that links is really important, I read it and
> then return with winner-undo.

I always thought winner mode was a bit strange with its 3 functions, but
now I see it might make sense.
Thank for the tip, I will try that out.

cheers
--