Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 21:12:28 +0100

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> Why not use a GUI based emacs?
>
> One reason is because logging in over a high latency connection to a
> server on the other side of the world and trying to throw the X11
> display back over the very slow global Internet is a test of patience.

Yes, X11 forwarding is clearly not the way to go.  But why not open
files on the remote server using TRAMP which comes with emacs?
Similarly, you can have many remote shell buffers as well.  That works
very good for me.  Hey, I even read PDF files and view images on remote
machines using TRAMPed dired, doc-view, and image-mode.

Bye,
Tassilo