RE: Too much pita to paste into incremental regex search

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Too much pita to paste into incremental regex search
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 06:44:27 -0800

> > > It doesn't disappear for me, not in Emacs 24 anyway.  I
> > > can click the mouse in the minibuffer, then type C-y to
> > > paste something I copied elsewhere.
> >
> > Not if you click in a minibuffer on a different frame
> > (which includes the case of a standalone minibuffer).
> > A `switch-frame' event causes Isearch to be cancelled.
> > See Emacs bug #10037.
>
> The OP didn't say anything that would imply he was using such
> esoterica.

Wow.  Using more than one frame is "esoteric"?

Is it also esoteric if you use `M-w' to copy text from a buffer in one frame and
then use `M-y' (Emacs 24: `C-y') to yank it into Isearch in another frame?  Or
is it esoteric only if you use the mouse to do it?

No, the OP did not say that he was using two frames, but I suggested it, as one
possible explanation.

And if I had to guess it would be that the OP did just that: search in a buffer
in one frame, select text using the mouse from a buffer in another frame, then
click mouse-2 to paste into the search string (in the first frame).

That's the only explanation that I know of for the symptoms described.  But
perhaps there is another bug at work (besides #10037).