RE: Mouse support does not work

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Mouse support does not work
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:00:00 -0800

> Ah, I see what this is now.  Would that even echo mouse events?

No.  It echos unfinished keyboard key sequences.

> >> Actually, I think maybe it does for me too. But it shows it in the
> >> form of garbage that I don't know how to read:
> >>
> >> ESC [ > 0 ; 9 5 ; c ESC x e c TAB DEL DEL ESC [ M a...
> >
> > Those look like keyboard keys to me, not mouse events.  If
> > you use the mouse (e.g. click `mouse-1' somewhere, then
> > click `mouse-3' somewhere, to select some text) you should
> > see mouse events such as I show above.
>
> No, this is definitely how it is reporting mouse events. I typed "Some
> Text" and clicked on the S, and this is what it showed for it:
>
> S o m e SPC T e x t ESC [ M SPC $ ( ESC [ M # $ ( C-h l

Perhaps it is a platform difference.  I'm using MS Windows.  I've never seen
what you see.

> It makes sense that it would do that, because just saying
> <down-mouse-1> does not tell you where in the text you clicked.

And how does what it shows you tell you more about the mouse-click position than
this, which is what I see on a graphic display:

S o m e SPC T e x t <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-h l

Or this, which is what I see with emacs -nw:

S o m e SPC T e x t <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-h l

What is shown is not the full mouse event, with all of its position info.  All
that is shown is the name of the mouse event (including modifiers).

> Also, if I type  ESC [ M SPC $ ( ESC [ M # $ ( with the cursor on the
> t,

How do you type that?  Is M the shifted `M' key or Meta (Alt)?  If I hit the
`ESC' key and then the `[' key Emacs just tells me `M-[ is undefined'.

> it does indeed go back to the S.  It even echos "down-mouse-1" at
> the bottom.  As for scrolling, it seems that the command is different
> depending on where my mouse is (I think), which makes sense because I
> set the "Mouse Wheel Follow Mouse" setting from customize to on (I
> couldn't figure out what the emacs variable name for that is called).

Customize `custom-unlispify-tag-names' to nil (off), if you want to see the real
(Lisp) names.

(IMHO that should be the default value.  It is less, not more, helpful to simply
capitalize each word and replace SPC with hyphen.  Misguided, IMO.)