mouseless copying to clipboard

From: Silvio Levy
Subject: mouseless copying to clipboard
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:30:43 -0800

Dear Emacsers

I'd like to be able to copy text to my X-clipboard without using the
mouse.  The problem is that I like to use emacs -nw for reasons I
won't go into, and it doesn't seem to work.  That is, if i run

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

and then set mark, move point, M-w, the selection is not saved to my
X-clipboard. I've confirmed it works when I call emacs without the -nw
option.

Is there a solution?  I'm running the version below on Ubuntu 10.04.

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2011-03-04 on palmer, modified by Debian

Silvio