Re: Mac terminal.app: starting emacs, possibly as sudo

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Mac terminal.app: starting emacs, possibly as sudo
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:28:20 +0200

Am 17.10.2011 um 15:34 schrieb Perry Smith:

> On Oct 17, 2011, at 3:07 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:
>>
>> If you edit file /a/b/c and you cannot save it because it is owned by
>> root, you could save it by "C-x C-w /sudo::/a/b/c".
>
> Now there's a clever man... I would have saved it off, opened it with sudo,
> and pasted the changes in.  I'd never thought to just save the changes
> via sudo.

You're opening and changing and saving that one file with "elevated
privileges", just as some native Mac OS X application would when it asks you
for the password. (Don't know what happens with the backup copy /a/b/c~ which
GNU Emacs produces. And how the process in reality proceeds; it's easy to
rename the file as the backup copy and open it afterwards in a buffer that has
been renamed, so that you'll be saving saving it as a new file – which makes
handling of date stamps very easy.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Klingons do not believe in indentation - except perhaps in the skulls of their
project managers."