Saving State

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Saving State
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:02:02 -0500

I do customer support and I shift from one problem to another problem and then
back to the first problem.

Is it possible to save the current state of emacs which includes the buffers in
particular and maybe the "register" values (when I do point-to-register) to a
file.  Then clear the state, work on a new problem, save the new state at that
time.  Then be able to go back and restore the first state?

Utopia would each of these states to be saved in its own individual file.

I've been told of a packaged named "windows" that does this but I can't find it
because the name gets too many hits.

Thank you,
pedz