when building ./configure runs eternally

From: Алиса Безкреста
Subject: when building ./configure runs eternally
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:36:15 +0400

Hello

I wanted to install emacs, so I ran ./configure.
After a while it told me it has found an error of the kind: You seem to be running X, but no development libraries were found. You should bla bla bla. If you are sure you want Emacs compiled without X window support, pass --without-x to configure.
So next I ran ./configure --without-x and I waited. After waiting a lot I started having the feeling of having a deja-vu experience. On the screen I was seeing things I had seen before. It seemed as if the machine was checking the same things round and round again. So I left the machine alone. When I returned after some hours its state was the same: checking round and round. I stopped it.

After this, when I ran make, it told me: no targets specified and no makefile found

What is happening?

Best regards

Alisa Bezkresta