Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox

From: jidanni
Subject: Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:00:29 +0800

I can't take it any longer.
I start Firefox by one of the million ways one can there in emacs.
Then hours later I wish to quit emacs, but...
   Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)
That's right. Emacs demands taking Firefox along with it to the grave,
It's either that, or it refuses to quit.
What do I have to do? Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare
its hostage Firefox? Yeah well I bet emacs has wrapped a bomb around
them both so there will be no survivors ("Shoot me and I'll take out the
whole process tree, motherf***er!")
So does one need to write a batch(1) job wrapper script to start Firefox
away from the hands of terrorism? Why can't there be a third answer to
   Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)
i.e., "No. Don't kill them, but exit anyway."
What kind of cheap 2nd hand Woolworth's software can't do that these days?