Re: How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:16:52 -0700

On Tue, Jul 26 2011, Pedro Costa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to italicize a word in latex in emacs automatically.
> Instead of write \textit{word}, I would like to select the "word" and
> then write M-x <my command> and it's added textit around the word. Do
> I have to create a lisp function in .emacs? How do I do that?

If you're editing a latex file you should be using a latex mode to do
that, and the latex mode will provide these sorts of commands. Auctex is
a great one: using that, select the word and then hit C-c C-f C-i to
surround it with \textit{}. Or just hit the command with nothing
selected, and point will be left between the braces, ready to type.

Eric