Re: Several beginner-questions

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Several beginner-questions
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:48:13 +0300

* 2011-07-27T03:57:05+01:00 * Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> [...] I'm fairly new to Emacs, and Lisp is also somewhat a mistery for
> me (although I am familiar with the concepts of functional programming
> in general).

Emacs Lisp, and other popular Lisps as well, are multi-paradigm
languages. They support many paradigms but do not force any of them. For
example, imperative and functional programming is supported. It's a
common myth that Lisps are (purely) functional languages. They are not.

In my experience the first big difference for a Lisp newbie is that
there are no separate statements and expressions; there are only
expressions. Another thing to realize is that Lisp code is actually Lisp
data (trees of cons cells).