Re: keyboard macro to record scp (password)

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: keyboard macro to record scp (password)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:34:23 +0200

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM, C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to do scp multiple times (and in this case, authorized_keys thingy is
> not an option). I tried to record a keyboard macro to record the scp action
> - including the password entry - but that does not seem to work. The
> password gets typed even before the its prompted for. How do I get around
> this?

You can try these options:

1. Solve it outside emacs with ssh-agent
2. Assuming you are using tramp, you could try ssh instead of scp. ssh
   keeps the connection open so you do not need to retype the password.
   However if there is a session expiry policy on the remote end, that
   cannot be circumvented.

> Regards,
> Kashyap

Hope this helps.