Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Taking notes / excerptions with emacs
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:14:23 +0200

Frederik <freak.fred@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi There!
>
> Until now I've taken notes and did extracts/abstracts of the books I had to
> read
> by hand, i.e. with pen & paper.
>
> Now I want to switch to the digital world... What could be more natural than
> using emacs, because I already use it with AucTeX to create my latex
> documents.
>
> What I basically need is ordering of the abstracts and full-text search for my
> notes. Printing the notes would be useful, too.
>
> Google brought up several modes; org-mode seems promising, but I never tried
> it
> before.
>
> How do you take notes? Any special suggestions? I thought it could be helpful
> ask on this list before trying out several modes...
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Fred

org-mode

It does it all  : you can have it as easy or complex as you like and it
ships with a hist of utilities such as gnus integration, html export,
journaling etc etc.

And. more importantly, its a dynamic, polite and responsive development
team working on it which is always open to suggestions and willing to
help which is not bogged down in politics.