Re: Message when starting emacs as root

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Message when starting emacs as root
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:09 -0000

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> When I start Emacs as root –from the command line–, I get the
> following message:
>     (emacs:3279): GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit
>     status of a child process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set
>     to SIG_IGN and ECHILD was received by waitpid(), so exit status
>     can't be returned. This is a bug in the program calling
>     g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the exit status, or don't set
>     the SIGCHLD action.
>
>     GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most
>     common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus
>     daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information.
>     (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Abnormal
>     program termination spawning command line `dbus-launch
>     --autolaunch=609bb989b7d80a921f5561274aef47bc --binary-syntax
>     --close-stderr': )
>
> As a non root user I do not get it. It happens since I updated to
> openSUSE 10.4, which also update Emacs. I now use:
>     GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i586-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.1) of 2011-02-22
> on build27

I forgot to ask, but why are you runing as root anyway? If you do this
on occasion just to edit some files owned by root, you don't need to do
this. YOu can edit files owned by root from witin your existing non-root
emacs instance using tramp. Much faster, preserves your emacs session
and I think safer/more secure.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au