Re: efficiently viewing Unix timestamps as dates

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: efficiently viewing Unix timestamps as dates
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:08 -0000

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:20:58 -0300 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

SM> The issue is to not remove the display property placed on *other*
SM> chunks of text.
>> The package only applies the display property to text it matches.

SM> Yes, but you do want to remove that property at some point.

Why remove it?  Do you mean when the package is turned off, or at some
point in the redisplay process?

SM> Using font-lock-extra-managed-props is asking font-lock to take complete
SM> control of the property (i.e. it causes font-lock-fontify-region to
SM> start by erasing the `display' property over the whole fontified region)
SM> so if the display property is set by a package that doesn't use
SM> font-lock, that will be lost.

Hmm, does Emacs need a `font-lock-display' property, to be used iff
`display' is not specified?  This seems like a lot of pain that should
not be passed to the package authors but handled in the core.

Are there packages that set `display' without letting font-lock manage
it?  I want to test the code you suggested against something that
actually breaks with epoch-view.el.

My previous question remains: is this serious enough that epoch-view.el
should not go in the GNU ELPA until it's fixed, or is it a minor bug I
can work on later?

Ted