Re: Read-only warning message

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Read-only warning message
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:06:13 -0500

On May 17, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Memnon Anon wrote:

> sdn.gnuem@mailnull.com writes:
>
>> Hello emacs folks,
>>
>> This is not a desperate call for urgent help or
>> anything -- this is just something that has bugged me for some time.
>>
>>    When you make a buffer read-only (via C-x C-q toggle-read-only),
>> and the file in the buffer is under version control, you get a
>> warning message: "File is under version-control; use C-x v v to
>> check in/out".
>>
>>    Anyone have any idea why? What earthly relevance could the file's
>> being under version-control have to my toggling the buffer's
>> read-only state?
>
> ,----
> | commit c97bded566032831e282666899ff847ba58c69a2
> | Author: André Spiegel <spiegel@gnu.org>
> | Date:   Tue Jul 16 17:40:37 2002 +0000
> |
> |     Bind toggle-read-only to C-x C-q.
> |     (toggle-read-only): Display a warning message if the file is under
> |     version control.
> `----
>
> This message has been there for 9 years; pitty there is no hint in
> there.
>
> But I just checked: Using view mode displays no warning.
> If the warning bothers you, you may want to consider using it instead.

I may be daft but I believe I recall that long ago, that is how you checked
files in and out.  If the file was not checked out and you edited it, it would
be read-only.  And to toggle that, you could do ^X-^Q and that would trigger
emacs into checking out the file.  Thus, the warning when that procedure
changed to alert people that things have changed.

pedz