Re: Strange slowness when killing words interactively

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Strange slowness when killing words interactively
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 21:13:01 -0400

Taylor Venable <taylor@metasyntax.net> writes:

> I've found the location where the slowness creeps into kill-word and
> friends. Looking at kill-region in simple.el, the part that is very
> slow for my system is adding to the kill ring. If I comment those
> lines out (as shown in http://paste.lisp.org/+2LWP) then the sluggish
> response disappears. It's odd to me that I don't see this behaviour
> when I start Emacs with -nw as I would (perhaps naively) think that
> slowness in kill-region would be independent of what user interface is
> active.

On a graphical terminal, kill-new calls interprogram-cut-function to set
the clipboard (or the X selection, for Emacs 23).  That may be causing
the slowdown.  Could you set interprogram-cut-function to nil and see if
it makes any difference?  If so, we need to figure out why
interprogram-cut-function is slow on your computer.