Loadable extensions (Was: Query emacs to find if it was built with X sup

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Loadable extensions (Was: Query emacs to find if it was built with X support?)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:15:44 -0500

On Apr 9, 2011, at 4:58 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

Robert Knighten <RLK@knighten.org> writes:

The subject tells it all.  Is there some way to query a pre-built emacs
to find out if it was built with X support?

Possibly
(assq 'x window-system-initialization-alist)

Has anyone in Emacs-land (where everyone is happy and smiles) thought about loadable extensions?

I often build emacs for AIX and put it out for others to use.  It is a kinda of conflict for me to determine how much nifty stuff to build into it because the more I build into it, the more libraries the other users must have.  It would be awesome if that was not the case.  If libraries like TIFF and so many more could be snapped in if they were needed and they were on the system.  I think to do this, emacs would have to be more system dependent than it is on the way libraries work.  And, it may be that only a few people would benefit.

pedz