Re: Coding system question(s)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Coding system question(s)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:31:44 +0200

> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 10:19:22 -0500
> From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
>
> Coding system for saving file?(default nil)is always the prompt in the
> mini-buffer when I do C-x ret f

Is there a typo somewhere?  "C-x RET f" just sets the encoding of the
current buffer, it doesn't save any file.

> With w32 build of Emacs what do I have to do to ensure that all plain
> text files (.txt, .tex, .el, etc.) are read in and written out in utf-8
> encoding?

M-x set-locale-environment RET utf-8 RET

>         (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
>         (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)

Don't do that on Windows, you are shooting yourself in the foot.  The
Windows clipboard works in UTF-16 (not UTF-8) by default, and
switching it to UTF-8 is asking for trouble, because Windows doesn't
really understand UTF-8 in the clipboard data.