Re: Emacs insert empty string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs insert empty string
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:24:00 +0100

> Am 24.03.2011 um 11:25 schrieb Kenneth Brun Nielsen:
>
>> Now I "regret" outcommenting the commands 600-800. Again I select the
>> lines/columns of interest and use the 'CTRL-x rt' command and remove
>> the "*" column (i.e. replace the first column with an empty string)
>

> The documentation, in my interpretation and understanding, does not
> tell it would work. Because the rectangle functions *insert* and don't
> *overwrite* (maybe they would do when you activate
> overwrite-mode).

Huh?

    C-x r t runs the command string-rectangle, which is an interactive
    autoloaded Lisp function in `rect.el'.

    It is bound to C-x r t.

    (string-rectangle START END STRING)

    Replace rectangle contents with STRING on each line.
    The length of STRING need not be the same as the rectangle width.

    Called from a program, takes three args; START, END and STRING.

What about "replace rectangle contents" do you not understand?

--
David Kastrup