Re: Warning with --daemon

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: Warning with --daemon
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:55:57 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:00:03 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> orgmode introduced a new warning for one of its features I use.
>> I usually start emacs with --daemon; the startup stops whenever this
>> warning is displayed.
>
> What feature? what warning?
>
> Please say at least that much, it's hard to give advice otherwise.

Sorry, I did not think the specific warning is relevant.

,----[ http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-1_3_3 ]
| Security warning: using org-crypt with auto-save
|
| To prevent Emacs from auto-saving encrypted entries in clear text, the
| user should not use auto-save with org-crypt.el. We now send a warning
| when users are both using auto-saving and org-crypt.el. Thanks to Peter
| Jones for bringing this up.
`----

The relevant code seems to be this:

,----[ org-crypt.el ]
| ;; FIXME Find a better way to encrypt Org auto-saved buffers?
| ;; When `auto-save-default' is non-nil, make sure entries are
| ;; encrypted before auto-saving
| ;; (when auto-save-default
| ;;    (add-hook
| ;;     'org-mode-hook
| ;;     (lambda () (add-hook 'auto-save-hook 'org-encrypt-entries nil t))))
|
| (when auto-save-default
|   (message "Warning: turn auto-save-mode off in Org buffers containing
crypted entries.")
|   (sit-for 5))
`----

I should have tried to pinpoint the relevant location before asking ...
I thought there was a special general warning function involved, but
it is basically just a message and a (sit-for 5) ...

Trying to verify this is really the relevant bit:

Starting "emacs --daemon ~/.emacs" with this .emacs:
-------------.emacs--------
(sit-for 5)
-------------

I need to press enter to finish the startup.
"emacsclient -c" and a subsequent `C-x b .emacs':

-------------.emacs--------

(sit-for 5)
-------------

(Newline at the top of .emacs. Seems like a result oft the RET, right?).
So I *guess* using sit-for in .emacs + usage of daemon is the problem?

ELISP> (emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)\n of
2010-12-11 on raven, modified by Debian"
ELISP> (org-version)
"Org-mode version 7.5"

I just installed the emacs-snapshot package and the same happens with

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
2011-03-09 on cigue, modified by Debian

I did a quick search on debbugs.gnu.org, but I found nothing relevant so
far...

I can't think of any information to add at this point, if you need any,
I'll provide them ASAP.

Thanks,
Memnon