Re: Printing Prolog with the standard GNU Emacs in the Windows 7

From: Antti J Ylikoski
Subject: Re: Printing Prolog with the standard GNU Emacs in the Windows 7
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 17:27:44 +0200

8.3.2011 5:56, Eli Zaretskii kirjoitti:
From: Antti J Ylikoski<antti.ylikoski@elisanet.fi>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:32:50 +0200

So far I have not succeeded in printing the contents of buffers, or
files, with the standard GNU Emacs which I downloaded from the venerable
GNU site.

Could somebody help?  Even if this actually turns out to be a so-called
simpleminded question.

Did you try the advice in the Emacs manual?  It is in the node named
"Windows Printing".

If you tried that and it didn't work, I suggest to install PrintFile
(http://www.lerup.com/printfile/) and configure lpr-command and
lpr-switches, resp. ps-lpr-command and ps-lpr-switches to have the
Emacs print commands use that program as a printer spooler.  (The
above-mentioned node in the manual explains how to do these
customizations and shows an example.)  PrintFile can print to the
default system printer or to any other printer defined on your Windows
box.

OK, thank you for your communication.

I have been using the Emacs ever since 1979 - first the TOPS-20 Emacs and most recently the GNU Emacs -- and I had in my hands a very old GNU Emacs manual which does not mention this "Windows Printing".

I downloaded the most recent manual from the GNU site -- problem solved.

Thank you, Antti Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.

PS. I'm posting this here since it might be of help to some other individuals.

Idem