Re: print out all members of a list, v.1.0

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: print out all members of a list, v.1.0
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:34:44 -0500

In article <878vwwwp8d.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
 "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <87r5apwxad.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,

> >> At the same time as CL.
> >> The CL standard was completed in 1994.   1984 only marks the beginning
> >> of the standardization effort.
> >
> > So?  CL predates the standardization effort.  1984 marks the END of
> > several years of work that produced the book "Common Lisp: the Language".
>
> Well, I understand reticence of RMS to use a language that's not even
> standardized yet.  Of course, I shall then wonder why he had to design
> his own non-standardized language.

Emacs Lisp is mostly a reimplementation of MockLisp, the dialect that
was used in Gosling Emacs, which was the original inspiration for GNU
Emacs.  It's also very much like MACLISP, the dialect that RMS had been
using for over a decade.

So he didn't design his own language, he was basically sticking with
what he knew and liked.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA