Re: Official Git mirror?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Official Git mirror?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:02:01 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:17:28 +0100
>
> It seems that "nosmart" is used for compensating for servers with busy
> CPUs

No, it's used to compensate for overly "smart" server when there's no
win in being smart, because you need to send everything anyway.  The
"smart" part is for sending less data, which is not going to win for
the initial checkout.

> at the cost of more data sent to the client and more work offloaded
> to it.

The data ratio is 5.5:7.2, so it is indeed larger, but not awfully
so.  As for CPU, I wrote elsewhere that the client doesn't need too
much for the initial checkout.

> We are discussing protocol efficiency. It is reasonable to expect that
> any shortcoming on the cloning process will show in the update
> operation.

I don't see that in my work.  Updates are of comparable speed,
although bzr indeed typically pulls more data through the wire.