Re: gdb hangs in Emacs 23.2.1 (Mac OSX 10.6.3)

From: Dylan
Subject: Re: gdb hangs in Emacs 23.2.1 (Mac OSX 10.6.3)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:30:14 -0800 (PST)

> 1.) Don't repeat in ~/.bash_profile what you've set in ~/.MacOSX/
> environment.plist! Better use cleverly:
>
>         PATH=`defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" PATH`

OK. Took care of that. The shell seems to be recognizing the correct
PATH this time around.

> 3.) In Emacs you can check its process environment by two means. In
> *scratch* buffer you can execute this Lisp and similar code:
>
>         (getenv "PATH")

Checked this as well - it agrees with the PATH I established in the
environment.plist file.

> 4.) You can also invoke:
>
>         M-x shell-command RET which <name of fsf-gdb binary> RET

After invoking this in Emacs, it did indeed echo the correct path to
the fsf-gdb executable.

> 5.) What is GUD/GDB documentation telling you about the name of the
> gdb executable? Is it fixed or is set to some value by a variable?
> I've seen a
>
>         (defcustom gud-gud-gdb-command-name "gdb --fullname"
>
> ... which could explain why a name "fsf-gdb" would never be found.

Yes, it does seem to be set to some variable. After reading the gdb
documentation, when Emacs opens
gdb as a sub-routine it apparently opens it with the option "-f", the
fullname option. I am not sure how to
change this behavior in Emacs.

I think I am getting really close!

Thanks,