Re: gdb hangs in Emacs 23.2.1 (Mac OSX 10.6.3)

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: gdb hangs in Emacs 23.2.1 (Mac OSX 10.6.3)
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 11:24:12 +0100

Am 04.02.2011 um 22:37 schrieb Dylan:

I cannot get gdb to work under Emacs 23.2.1 (neither in the GNU
command line version or Cocoa Emacs). Each time I run gdb under emacs
and then execute a command with 'RETURN', the prompt just sits there.
The version of gdb that is being executed under emacs is:
6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1344).

With exactly this version of gdb I recently was successfully debugging the X client version of GNU Emacs 24.0.50 – on Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Gdb is accessible in GNU Emacs, and I think since 23.x, under the Grand Unified Debugger, gud. Lookup documentation under gud.

I prefer not to set exec-path, I just set the right PATH for the environment in which the applications run. This can be done with ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. Once the utility/programme is found by Emacs it should be able to find its own particles.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPRuntimeConfig/Articles/EnvironmentVars.html
http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/AquaEnvVar.html

--
Greetings

  Pete

Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head.