Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature of Emacs?

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature of Emacs?
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:46:33 +0200

On 2011-01-29 0:59, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I use hexl-mode all the time.
I've often needed an insert, as opposed to overwrite.  Do you know if
there's a way to insert?

Sadly, there isn't.  I have a new mode I call "nhexl-mode" which does
"the same" as hexl-mode but in a completely different way (the
conversion is done in a font-lockish way, so the buffer's content is
not affected, only the display) so you can use it with buffer insertion
and pretty much anything else.  Sadly, it bumps into some severe
performance limitations in the current redisplay code, so it's largely
unusable other than on very small buffers :-(

It is possible read only portion of file by Emacs
and don't load all file content into buffer?

Many hex viewer in read-only mode allow open large files without
performance penalty. Emacs don't.

--
Best regards!