RE: bookmark+ (was bm does not do book-marking)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bookmark+ (was bm does not do book-marking)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:10:56 -0800

> Thanks -- started using it.
> Just wondering --- how come everything (almost) has a key binding but
> not 'set-bookmark'?  Am I missing something?

There is no command `set-bookmark'.  Perhaps you mean `bookmark-set'.
`bookmark-set' is a standard command, with standard binding `C-x r m'.

Emacs shares prefix key `C-x r' among (a) bookmark commands, (b) register
commands, and (c) rectangle commands.  So in Bookmark+, all bookmarking commands
are also on prefix key `C-x p' (in addition to any standard bindings).

In addition to the general-purpose `bookmark-set', in Bookmark+ there are some
commands that set only particular kinds of bookmarks.  All bookmark-setting
commands have bindings on prefix key `C-x p c'.  So `bookmark-set' is bound to
all of these: `C-x r m' (standard), `C-x p m' (bookmark keys), and `C-x p c m'
(bookmark-setting keys) - in addition to being in the `Bookmarks' menu.

The other bookmark-setting keys (Bookmark+):

C-x p c RET  `bmkp-toggle-autonamed-bookmark-set/delete'
             Delete or create an autonamed bookmark at point.
             http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#toc44

C-x p c K    `bmkp-set-desktop-bookmark'
             Save the desktop as a bookmark.

C-x p c f    `bmkp-file-target-set'
             Bookmark a file you specify, without visiting it.
             http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#toc22

C-x p c m    `bookmark-set'
             Standard, general-purpose.

C-x p c u    `bmkp-url-target-set'
             Bookmark a URL you specify, without visiting it.

C-x p c x    `bmkp-set-bookmark-file-bookmark'
             Bookmark a bookmark file.  That is, create a
             bookmark which when "jumped" to loads a particular
             file of bookmarks (e.g. for a project).
             http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#toc29

You also asked:
> How does the generic "Set bookmark" differ from all
> the other specific ones?

As they are type-specific, the UI for each takes that into account to simplify
things.  And of course the result is a specific kind of bookmark, without your
needing to specify the type etc.

E.g.:

`C-x p c RET' creates an autonamed bookmark at point or deletes it if already
there.  No name, so no prompting.

`C-x p c K' bookmarks a desktop.  You are prompted for the desktop file to use.
`C-x p c x' acts similarly for a file of bookmarks.

`C-x p c f' prompts you for a file to bookmark.  `C-c p c u' does the same for a
URL.