Re: Can I recover my .emacs?

From: Nomen Nescio
Subject: Re: Can I recover my .emacs?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:54:42 +0100 (CET)

> The two are "equivalent" in the sense that Emacs understands them just
> as well, but maybe not humans.  So the comments your had in .emacs
> aren't carried over in the .emacs.elc, but a lot of the rest is.

I know but I wanted the source in case I need to change it. I got most of it
back but I don't know for sure. It seems to be working ok except for one
thing but I won't know until I know. It took me ages to create it in the
first place since i suck at lisp and emacs.

> I recommend you open the .emacs.elc file in Emacs and look at it.
> You'll probably see a lot of "garbage" (like \NNN chars), but you should
> also see lots of variable names (all the variable names you had in
> .emacs should appear in .emacs.elc and all the values as well as
> most/all of the functions you called there).  So the main work will be
> for you to try and figure out what value corresponds to which variable
> and things like that.  If you have trouble understanding what you see,
> post some samples here for people to decode it for you.

Thanks I did that and everything *looks* ok but I really don't know. One
thing that's wrong is my linum.el program I downloaded to put line numbers
on the left side works fine in X session but when I go into emacs -nw the
numbers don't have any space between them and the text and it didn't work
like that before I lost my .emacs and now after trying to make a new .emacs
from looking at my old .emacs.elc I can't see the difference. Or maybe the
line numbers didn't show up in emacs -nw mode at all. Have you any idea how
to fix it?

> Note also that a lot of what's in the .emacs.elc can be placed in the
> .emacs as well.

That makes sense since my .emacs.elc was created from my .emacs. Thanks.