Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser

From: DevZero
Subject: Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 01:15:52 +0100

Msg from Larry Kohlman [nospam@nospam.invalid/1.9K] at 05.01/19:23
> I want a file-browsing dialog box, but I want it to be text-mode so it
> can be used on a raw terminal or inside an xterm. Something roughly like
> dired but that lets the user browse files and directories and only
> returns the path with a selected or entered filename and does absolutely
> nothing else. I know it's out there because I've seen it before, but I
> just can't find the magic command or plugin.

from your description i think you mean lusty-file-explorer...
i used it myself for quite some time before switching to ido.

there's a nice gif-preview of lusty-file-explorer in action
here: http://viewglob.sourceforge.net/lusty-explorer.el.animated.gif

get it from the emacs-wiki: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LustyExplorer

greetz
--