RE: (debug) backtrace: how to show source code at current location.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: (debug) backtrace: how to show source code at current location.
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:58:54 -0800

> What I did was started with just:
>
>   (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> as shown in the attachment (a revision of the one posted earlier).
> The started emacs; however, no backtrace appeared.

Eval (setq debug-on-error t) at top level before you do anything else. Put it in
your .emacs at the beginning, for instance.

> OTOH, the *Messages* buffer contained:
> > File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp tab)
> Is there something else I should do to get a backtrace?

(setq debug-on-error t) should do it.

Grepping for your error message points to files.el in directory lisp/.  See the
code for `normal-mode' there.  You can try `M-x debug-on-entry RET normal-mode
RET'.