Re: ps-print question

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: ps-print question
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 01:20:27 +0100

Dave,

I have an answer from Ghostscript/Artifex. It points to footnote in PRML, the PostScript Language Reference
Manual (see p785 of the 3rd edition):

3. The ISOLatin1Encoding encoding vector deviates from the ISO 8859-1 standard in one respect: the character at position 140 is quoteleft, whereas the ISO standard specifies grave. A PostScript program needing to conform exactly to the ISO standard should
           create a modified encoding vector with this entry changed.

So what is displayed in the buffer as

        character: ` (96, #o140, #x60)

is in reality, printed on some medium or on screen

        character: ‘ (8216, #o20030, #x2018)

or: instead of /grave the character /quoteleft is encoded here.

You can try yourself to open the PS file (any with a `) without any precautions and it will be Unicode or ISO Latin, maybe some ASCII. In a second buffer open the same file–actually a copy, because I don't think that GNU Emacs can display the same file in two different encodings–in adobe-standard-encoding. To do so start with:

        C-x RET c adobe-standard-encoding RET v

I assume you are in dired-mode and the text cursor is on the copy. Otherwise you have to use C-x f. Now notice the difference!

I think of continuing the conversation with the Ghostscript folks (extending to PDF), and I also sent a bug report to the GNU Emacs developers because PS files are *not* opened in a PostScript but some text encoding. With the consequence that folks like you and me think a ` is a ` while it's a ‘...

--
Greetings

  Pete

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family. Prepare to die!"