Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:47:53 +0100

>> You are aware you dont have to open your local dovecot server to
>> anyone aren't you?

> You speak as if it's nothing more than a matter of wishing.  If I'm on
> the road and the server is at home, then to get my mail I have to
> connect to the server over the internet.  Or if I run the server on my
> laptop, still, it must be connected to the internet.  Either way, this
> means that the server must be connected to the internet.  This means
> it's exposed.  Again, in this scenario just a password is not
> sufficient security.

I believe at least gnus can run the dovecot executable in a subprocess
and talk IMAP over pipes.  So in that case there needs to be no daemon
listening to ports, and there needs to be no authentication (dovecot is
a process running with the user's privileges, accessing Maildir folders
under the user's home directory).

Not sure how well that approach will work with other IMAP clients on the
same computer, though.

Caveat: I don't use a local dovecot and offlineimap.  I use Gnus with
        nnimap+agent