Re: reload modified files in buffer

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: reload modified files in buffer
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 00:09:38 +0100

Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca@gmail.com> writes:

> it's good to know that auto-revert mode will not revert a modify
> buffer. however afaik Emacs will not let you save a modified buffer if
> the file has changed.
>
> i like Peter's idea of Emacs having the ability to diff-merge a
> conflict when you've modified a buffer and the file has changed.
>
> Emacs should be smart enough to auto-reload a buffer if the file has
> changed and the buffer has not been edited, this would be a welcomed
> enhancement =)

Try to enable globally auto-revert-mode and keep 200 buffers open on a
slow machine, you'll understand why is not a default ;)

I think is a good idea to be off by default, after all why do you need
to revert buffers so often?

For me it only happens when I push/pull with some revision control
systems...