Re: need help debugging edebug (Common lisp problem?)

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: need help debugging edebug (Common lisp problem?)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:20:52 +0530

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The following function (from http://delysid.org/emacs/midi.el )
>> crashes edebug.
>> It gives
>>
>> edebug-syntax-error: Invalid read syntax: "Failed matching",
>> ([&optional ["named" symbolp]] [&rest &or ["repeat" form] loop-for-as
>> loop-with loop-initial-final] [&rest loop-clause])
>>
>> Note: It loads correctly (or rather silently) if edebug is turned off
>>
>> I have a feeling its in the loop (cl) macro. Can someone who knows CL
>> better have a look?
>>
>>     (loop while (< (point) end)
>>         do (incf ticks (smf-read-varlen))
>>         for event =
>>         (let ((status (following-char)))
> [...]
>>                     (t (error "Unknown stuff")))))))
>>         until (eq event t) when event collect (cons ticks event))))
>
> Is the loop syntax correct ? If so the edebug-spec of the loop macro is
> wrong.

I dont know (intricacies of) common lisp.
But (AFAIK) this is working code in emacs before version 23 -- I got
this file from the linux audio list
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2010-December/074658.html
so I guess a number of people have used/are using it.
So I thought I'd file this bug

To reiterate: the el file loads quietly without edebug but edebug
barfs (in emacs 23) so there is some mismatch somewhere.
Since the code does not work it could be a (default) elisp problem and
edebug may be correct -- dunno.

Thanks Andreas anyhow for looking.

Rusi