In search of classic "C-x x" and "C-x g" keybinding or .emacs defn

From: FooBar7
Subject: In search of classic "C-x x" and "C-x g" keybinding or .emacs defn
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:36:15 -0000

Hello,

I have been using an older version GNU - 21.3 for windows that used a
more classic key binding for register put/get.  however now with the
more recent version aka. 23.2 these bindings are missing.

I have tried to write my own global-key routine but this also has run
into problems with set-mark and how end-mark-region operates.

I researched a possible save with a compatibility key-binding called:
copy-to-register-compatibility-binding
insert-register-compatibility-binding

But these functions are not found.

Any help for a more classic feel and possibly key bindings would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
     -Steve