Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22

From: Ralf Fassel
Subject: Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:33:14 -0000

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
| You can do the following:
| - open the file
| - set its coding-system to latin-1 with C-x RET f latin-1 RET
| - try to save the file using the new coding system: C-x C-s
| - this should hopefully pop up a window giving you a list of chars
|   that conflict.

Ok, by string-replacing the regular Umlauts I found the culprit was a
single \200 char within 880+kB.  This the Windows-Euro (of course the
file is edited from Windows and Linux).  After replacing this single
char, the file is opened in latin-1 ok.

Since all those files use a special editing major mode in emacs anyway,
I suppose I can switch to latin-1 when entering that major mode.

| But I still suggest you try what I already suggested:
>
| | C-x RET r latin-1 RET should cause the file to be re-read as a
| | latin-1 file, and it should then be displayed properly.
>
| and see what this gives.

This works ok in that the Umlauts are displayed properly, word movement
works, and the single \200 char is not bitched about when saving the
file.  So I'd call this function in the major mode and all should be
well (fingers crossed)...

Now you don't happen to know the details of all of this in *X*emacs?
Last time I looked, the functions were all different...

R'