Re: Windows: changing (bitmap) font causes set-face-attribute error

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Windows: changing (bitmap) font causes set-face-attribute error
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:36:44 -0000

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> Running the font through FontForge (on Linux) fixed the issue.

Elena, thanks, but I'm too ignorant to understand your suggestion.

First, what font? Are there certain fonts which emacs uses to display a
pdf file? How would I know what they are? Is emacs for some reason
converting TrueType fonts to bitmaps without anti-aliasing?

If this a single font like Times New Roman, or is a collection of fonts,
like all TrueType fonts?

Fontforge serves to convert font formats. What format do I need to
convert from and to?

If these were not questions enough, I'd still like to know what is going
on. your answer implies that my problem with PDF fonts is a known issue,
or at leat it is known to you. What is the cause of the problem? Is it
associated with the migration from emacs 22 to 23? Why does the initial
page of a PDF look fine, but the remaining pages are almost illegible?
Is my problem that the font used is not anti-aliased? If not, why isn't
it?

Haines Brown