Re: emacs displaying backslash incorrectly

From: lraae
Subject: Re: emacs displaying backslash incorrectly
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:28:11 -0000

On Sep 12, 7:40 am, David Solimano <da...@solimano.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 23:42:51 +1000, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null>
> wrote:
>

> >lraae <lcr...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Hi, I have a weird problem which I can't seem to find anything about
> >> on the web: When I type a backslash, emacs displays it as a capital W
> >> with a double strikethrough.
>
> >> This is Emacs 23.1.1 on Linux Fedora 12 (2.6.32.19-163.fc12.i686.PAE).
>
> >> I tried "emacs -q" to run without startup file, but the problem
> >> remains. This is a school administered computer, so I don't have root
> >> access.
>
> >> Hope someone might have an idea how to proceed in solving this.
>
> >weird.
>
> >This is only a wild stab in the dark, but maybe it is a font issue? If
> >you enter a backslash and save it to a file and view it with something
> >outside of emacs, does it show up as a backslash or some other key?
>
> >Maybe try specifying a different font?
>
> >Tim
>
> Due some historical considerations with Japanese and Korean text
> encoding, it does seem that some fonts place Won or Yen signs where
> the backslash would usually be, eg:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2004/12/14/284838.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2005/10/12/479561.aspx
>
> So it's not terribly surprising that a font would exhibit this
> behavior.
>
> David

Thank you all for your help and insights!

I should of course have mentioned that this seems to be purely a
display artifact in emacs, as the backslash works correctly outside of
emacs and also if saved to file from emacs. Also I don't have a
Korean, but a Norwegian, keyboard :)

The problem actually appears to be a font issue:
* emacs was set to use a font called Baekmuk Gulim
* changing the font to Monospace does not solve the problem
* changing the font to Sans (which makes emacs use DejaVu Sans) solves
the problem

And I'm happy, though not entirely sure what to conclude from this.

Lars