RE: set window width

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: set window width
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:44:46 -0800

> > I've been searching for some M-x set-window-width function
> > but I can't find anything. The closer solution I've found is
> >   M-x set-variable window-min-width 80
> > and then drag the fringe with the mouse. That's suboptimal imho. Any
> > better ideas?
>
> I wrote this pair of functions to do this recently.
>
> (defun set-frame-width-interactive (width)
>   "Set the width of the curent frame."
>   (interactive "NNew width: ")
>   (let ((old-width (frame-width)))
>     (set-frame-width nil width)
>     (message "Old width was %d" old-width)))
>
> (defun set-frame-height-interactive (height)
>   "Set the height of the curent frame."
>   (interactive "NNew height: ")
>   (let ((old-height (frame-height)))
>     (set-frame-height nil height)
>     (message "Old height was %d" old-height)))

1. You might want to propose that `set-frame-width' and `set-frame-height' be
changed to commands (essentially what is shown above).  To do that, use `M-x
report-emacs-bug' (enhancements are filed the same way as bugs).

2. If you also want to resize incrementally using the keyboard:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FrameModes#frame-cmds.el